Saturday, April 7, 2018

Great Grandma Bobbi's Quilt

So I have been trying to come to terms with the "next life" for my great Grandmother's quilt.  She lived with us when I was a toddler and in kindergarten.    We called her Grandma Bobbi.  Her given name was Myrtle.  I have such fond memories of my brothers playing with the quilt that my great grandmother made.

The fabric is so frayed, repair was not really possible, so I created a duplicate.  I worked with scraps from my other quilt projects.  Here is a picture of the two quilts  are side by side:


So today I go shopping for red backing fabric to honor the old quilt as much as I can.   Right now my copy is just the top.  I debated putting pieces of the old quilt in the new one, but I'm afraid the fabric won't hold up.  I plan on tucking a few pieces in with the batting and quilting them in - hidden, but still a part of the quilt.

So what to do with the newly made duplicate?  Well, my mom is in her 80s and unhappy that she is not a great-grandmother yet.  So I put this out there to my children and all my nieces and nephews -- First baby gets the quilt!!  You give great grandmother Bobbi a great-great-great grandbaby and I'll give you the quilt.   We will see how this works out!

Off to the quilt store for the backing fabric.... I'll keep you posted.



No comments: